Hainan Medical Mission

I have never been on a medical mission ~
Hence in Nov 2015, when the opportunity presented itself,
i went on my virgin medical mission ~

For the past 7 years, this Hainan Smiles operation has been on-going in
 Cheng Mai County, in Hainan Province, China, to operate on patients
with cleft/craniofacial problems aiming to enrich the lives of them who may
otherwise faced social difficulties due to their physical handicap and
have been outcast from the society.

 


   I didn’t know what to expect when i arrived ~
While i’ve travelled over some "still developing" countries, this would be
an entirely different experience. I was excited and nervous for what might
come and what the demands would be, both physically and maybe slight mentally ~

I was not really train in plastics (clef lip) before hence its was a challenged but luckily,
i have some background and roughly know the instruments since i do head & neck in GS too ~
Now is to learn the steps of the procedure. They are only doing 2-3 simple procedures
over in Hainan hospital hence its not difficult to learn up. But its really
physically tired when you need to scrub for a few cases back to back and
you are out there in the unlucky days of "the month" ~

 
 

It is true that i've heard many mention that you get so much more on a mission journey
like this, than you give. I gained a new purpose. I was blessed with
the chance, to be allowed into part of their lives to learn and share a moments of

experience with them of an entirely different culture than mine. I learn a lot in their hospital ~
We had so much fun,learn more about the needs of the local people and the communicate and
learning the language that i felt my mandarin really suck over in China, haha ~



 

Down in the ward, when looking at the faces of the kids that we had operate,
wishing that time would turn faster for them to heal and look pretty & hemsum ~
I wouldnt be there to see how this beautiful wound will turn out to be but i hope
the next time i go back, i will be able to see the pretty big smiles on their face! 
I am truely grateful for all that I have received from this trip experience =)
It really put a Smile to my face!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving